Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bosco "Bitty-ization" begun

I have been modifying one of the only wire free Bosco resins I have for this project. I've spent the last month "shopping" around for the highest resolution scanning and printing companies. I'm pretty excited.

The actual processes of "shrinking" take only about 12hrs for lazer scanning and 12 for printing (or less). Once I get the mini version (it's a very hard resin) back, then I get to spend some intensive time/labor recreating details that the 3D printing machine just can't make.

Here's an example of one I've done this for before: http://www.artbymorgen.com/dinky_ordering.asp

And here is my prototype "mock up".

I plan to make minor changes to the tail, mane and head position as well as have the virtual file flipped so that, at a glance in photos, people will be able to tell if it's the big or little version.

One of the reasons to change the mane and tail is to make it easier to cast in that small scale. The real 1:9 scale Bosco's hair was a bear for the caster and preppers.

One of the reasons I want to alter the head position ever so slightly is in consideration of the fact that otherwise, the little fellow's head will be harder to see/fall into shadow more in 1:32 scale (probably more like 1:28). If you are going to put a ton of detail into faces and eyes on such a small object, having it harder to spot is no fun.

We shall see. Today the prototype may get it's head lopped off if I have time before work. :D

5 comments:

Rayvin said...

WooHoo! You go Morgen! I want to personally thank you for considering his head position! It can be very frusterating to have a beautiful mini work of art that just doesn't 'pop' because of how the lighting falls compared to others.

YOU ROCK!

rene said...

Hi Morgen,

Excellent job! Can you explain a bit more about what kind of 3d printer you use? We print maquettes and scale models for architects and product developers.

cheers
rene
www.sotopiaconcepts.com

Morgen said...

Rene, I've used Objet PolyJet in my last project and very likely will again. I have some sample "Vero Blue" material here and I've been experimenting with the best way to smooth it for my client's highly discerning tastes! (they really expect and deserve as much of the same detail as the original and why not put that extra time into it!).

It's incredibly hard. 83 on the shore scale as compared to a shore of 50-something for our typical hobby resins. I've shopped around but everything else seems to be similar in hardness and less detail than the vero products.

For your needs you might consider some of the other materials however. Especially if you want to turn a CAD drawing into something that doesn't need to have finite detail reincorporated into it (like keyholes for example). ;)

It's also quite expensive. A small 3" horse costs $300-400 to print so I can't imagine what a complex home model would be. All the same, it might not be too bad because it's by material volume, not spacial.

I think if you look up Objet or 3D printers you'll find a resource that has all types explained pretty well. Hope that helps! :)

Morgen said...

Ps to Rene: Notice I said print only in my price range quote.

The scanning is a totally different financial matter, fwiw. I'm just guessing you've already got a 3D model created in CAD or similar.

Ocelota Studios said...

I'm so excited for this guy! I like the changes and the flip- they aren't big changes but they really seem to make him look like a different horse! (well, almost, haha)