Thursday, February 21, 2008

Peeee-ewwww! Stinky!



I'm now at the point where I'm filling in/adding details akin to what you might do in prepping. It's REALLY important to casting to not have sharp edges on the mane and tail or too many grippy bumps. What happens with those undercuts is that they grab at the silicone mold every time a horse is removed. In short order the subsequent castings have blobs on them where the tears (little holes in the mold) are. In spots like the nostrils, making sure the insides are super smooth ensures that hte mold will pull away easier. But it's so easy to leave grooves that are too deep when sculpting manes and tails. And even little lines will pull.

SO, what I do now is sit there and define/smooth with Apoxie Sculpt (red is the smoothest I've found). Then I sit around with a jar filled with primer (sprayed from the can), and a brush and a jar of thinner and brush over these areas to make sure the smoothness is coming along well.

Can make you HIGH (and destroy some brain cells while it's at it). So I'm taking a break. The mask (of course! it's a must have!!) I wear has left lovely marks across my nose that seem to be permanent so I wonder if I've got some rosacia (sp?) type skin reaction to the dang thing.

Anyhow, I snapped a few pics and I'm tickled with how her mane revisions are coming along. :D Once the mane and tail are satisfactorily smoothed (probably another day?), I can turn to crispening up some details and adding the veins.

A week. I think I will be completely done in 7 days. I'm very excited!!! WOO HOO!!!

No comments: