Saturday, August 4, 2007

Critical thinking here…



I *LOVE* this summary from wikipedia (under critical thinking)

What is and is not universal in critical thinking

Critical thinking is based on concepts and principles, not on hard and fast, or step-by-step, procedures. Critical thinking is principle but not procedure based.

Critical thinking does not assure that one will reach either the truth or correct conclusions. First, one may not have all the relevant information; indeed, important information may remain undiscovered, or the information may not even be knowable. Furthermore, one may make unjustified inferences, use inappropriate concepts, fail to notice important implications, use a narrow or unfair point of view. One may be a victim of self-delusion, egocentricity or sociocentricity, or closed-mindedness. One's thinking may be unclear, inaccurate, imprecise, irrelevant, narrow, shallow, illogical, or trivial. One may be intellectually arrogant, intellectually lazy, or intellectually hypocritical. These are some of the ways that human thinking can be flawed. Further information can be found in the Thinker's Guide series by Richard Paul and Linda Elder.

Human thinking left to itself often leads to various forms of self-deception, individually and socially; and at the left, right, and mainstream of economic, political, and religious issues. Further analysis and resources about this interaction may be found in Roderick Hindery (2001): Indoctrination and Self-deception or Free and Critical Thought.

The challenge of an artist is exactly this; are we deluding ourselves!

In classical/realistic figure study there’s a pretty straightforward task. And yet it’s undeniably hard to achieve realism – those who can do so AND convey feeling and expression into the subject matter are my idols. In my niche, we call it being “barn blind” sometimes. I have plenty I feel I am barn blind to as people say I do xyz stylized thing and I swear to god I try all kinds of ways to see it but just do NOT. Totally mortifying to me that I don’t see my particular style… seriously..

*blushes*Ahem*

Ok, enough theory. Now to the practical application of todays off the cuff self-critique: (ergo here’s my latest to-do list). I’m really writing this for my own edification – I will come back and wonder later some of these things. I primered her a few days ago, after I made the attacks a few days ago (that afternoon primarily), then wasted time battling with my PC and Comcast (yes more) for the last couple of days.. so now (hooray!) I’m ready to take these few snapshots and give a critical & hopefully fresher eye. I’ve been mirror imaging them and inverting the color here and there to challenge myself to spot areas that are off.


What I like:

- her blocky/square/robust build appropriate to a less refined warmblood type (aka Premarin grade draft/QH/TB only the heavens know cross)

- lack of overdone muscles (ok, not 100% in technique in several areas still but noting to self not to emphasize it too much more)

- overall the flow is starting to be more appealing to me, some aspects of the mane and tail, and the perky ears of enthusiasm feel right for the pose and attitude…

What I want to address (for the moment at least – lol!):

- symmetry is wonky (I think I’m at a point where it’s valid/worthwhile to now start with the more accurate measuring tools – they’re getting dusty!)

- head symmetry really needs attention finally – whole head is off period

- feet need to be measured made just a tad smaller still and THEN maybe perhaps it’s time to start hashing in lines for shoes – this will be my first work with shoes fwiw

- overall careful refinements now to the limbs ->especially the hinds

- left toe way long/low heel but all feet need matching up so do the best first work to the worst when others are good

- right side of mane needs a small flop like the left, not as pronounced maybe

- arm pit skin & trap. Definition & angles isn’t right for pose – especially on the left

- need to find a way to add something somehow to tail on left that doesn’t interfere with the swishing or wind drag maybe

- perhaps a tad more definition/muscle stretch to show the shoulder blade on left up to the wither..

- right ear looks angled wrong – check perhaps it’s because it’s too flat at the moment in front (left needs it too but whole of left face off so do that first)

- that’s plenty for a while I guess.. lol!

I should mention that I photoshopped out the peg because I want to “envision” her as she’ll look on a base. I am awaiting an inspiration on the base still. Since she’s clearly destined to be doing something under tack, I absolutely plan to keep the base as thin as possible. Other than that, nothing has come to me (oval/square/texture/super smooth wood or acrylic, etc).

That’s plenty for me to chew on today. :)



No comments: