Monday, July 30, 2007

Ok, that went well so lets try it...

I wrote this in notepad yesterday too and just saved it:

Had some fun in photoshop looking at Hazel in mirror image. I made some light in the last post of brain damage but in reality humans do find mirror images to be foreign. This be why we find our faces in photos to be so terribly ooooddd.. Those of us with more asymmetry probably find our faces more foreign than those more symmetrically perfect peeps do. So cognitive theories aside, what this means for me is to flip the image gives me a "new view". Very simple trick. Some sculptors use mirrors in the studio, I've always taken a picture and flipped it in photo shop. Someday when I have a bigger studio I'll probably do the mirror thing too. I'm really crammed in there right now though.


same as one above it but fiddled with..

mirrored & fiddled with

mirrored & fiddled with too (by now I'm almost done making these changes and I'm very pleased with her in real life too!)


What I've done with all this flipping and fiddling is that I've been assessing how much weight on the hind end she ought to be carrying basically. In working with the bazillion refs of horses who are tearing along with magnificent efforts in speed sports, I want to achieve a reasonable amount of digging in BUT, in light of other recent works out too, I'd long ago decided I'd better make her moving more forward (already up to speed) than at the first stages of launching off. The sculptor of the work I'm most concerned about has given me a recent critique on Hazel here in this pose and I know she knows they're not the same. Buyers feel differently about that sort of thing however and striving to make a very unique horse is always important. Just so long as it isn't so unique that it's utterly unrealistic mind you. Um ya.. because that comes easily enough (wonky gait thing).

Anyhow, so some regular and reversed views and plays with her legs and flexing more through stifle down... and then the subtraction effects to see the extent of the changes.

By the time this is up I'll have embarked on some of these - but fwiw the process..

Then I fiddled with Rocky a bit. Yeeeeeeees that's the real horse's name and probably not the one I'll choose for this sculpture. It's not a totally direct portrait, the real horse has a longer neck back thing going on and he's very tubular - looks to have saddlebred influence over his Lippett-ness. I've worked to get more average proportions back instead of those exaggerations in the real horse. I DO however just totally dig his "on" attitude and that's what this work is about. I am betting he'll really come together quick. I'm quite jazzed about him! (I'm also just so tickled to have good fingers again!)



Anyhow, so I started proportioning his hind legs more accurately (measuring you know). The feet are still rather big, yes. Mane and tail are made of masking tape. It really helps to get a "whole picture" by adding parts on. I haven't decided but will probably not make anything all that windswept. He's marching into a halt, ready to spin and march over to whatever he's looking at there. If the mane and tail have much movement it'll be related to that.

Well isn't this amazing. All that uploaded. Could it be Comcast heard my threats of abandonment? Final test coming in a bit when I try to download all the ghastly junk mail that's been building up. ;)

No comments: