Thursday, March 24, 2011

Foal's first 24 hours...

Man sometimes the germination of artistic idea is just like a little lifeform, you can not stop it from growing. For better or worse. In the euphoric state that is the true creative high of course I hope it's for the best, I know at least his neck is a shade more proportionate & his limbs are the matching lengths now at least... so here's Little Man Mango at just 24hrs old (in real clay life, in representation I'd call this foal a few weeks at least)..
















I was up until 2pm last night and right back down to it this morning, couldn't slurp down the coffee fast enough & get back in there… didn’t even want to stop for lunch. He’s now in the freezer again chillin out. The studio thermometer says 85 in here but the breezes/fans are cooler. Still, clay gets pretty soft at that temp (sun heats this place up, yesterday's highs were mid-80's I think but todays was also almost 10degrees less too)... all the same, time for the ACs in here already... I have armature toothpicks in his ears even!

In the photos the tools are for showing “in progress” for another purpose… but I know you guys know that he’s just starting out here. Still – I’m sooo aching to be putting in all those awesome fun baby details!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's abso-frickin-lutely adorable! I just want to hug him.(Is that weird?)
May I ask what size he is? Trad? He looks wonderful so far, despite his roughness. I cannot wait to see more pictures of him.

Morgen said...

Thank you! :) He's around 1:9 scale. I'm eyeballing the size and using proportion measurements not calculations off of real #s unfortunately. Foals are hard to measure anyhow though. ;)

Morgen said...

LARGE 1:9th scale I should say. Or "true" 1:9th compared to hobby scales which tend to be a bit smaller than that?

Anonymous said...

OK, thanks for the info. I have a bad feeling that if you ever release him, my wallet will become considerably lighter.

Lynn W said...

Amazing what you can do in 24 hours! I'll be watching this guy's progress!

Unknown said...

Wow Morgan he is so cute.. your doing a great job and don't you just LOVE it when your on or in the zone on a piece and thats all you want to do and nothing else! hours go by in a flash and the sculpt is going great.. I love those times.. I wish every single piece I did was like that.. but alas they are not.. some I have to fight with.. its almost like a hard long birth.. lol oh and hey ... a tip here.. I use glazed ceramic tiles to sculpt on ( like floor tiles or bathroom tiles. you know the kind in the flooring or tile dept in your local hardware store) .. if Im using sculpey like for a medallion I can just stick it all in the oven and I can make the mold right over it without having to move it.. I have a big stack of 8x8 white tiles here I use alot..I also have a few really small ones about 3x3 and I went out and got 2 really large ones like 12 x 12 for a large piece to make molds on... they really work well! they can be any color of course but someone had left a few boxes of them in a house I rented and I saved them and about 6 years ago figured they wee great for sculpting on! you can use them over and over again.. but sometimes I like a fresh clean one to work on.. that way I can also move them easy like you with the cd case.. but not as fragile as the case..unless your going to use the case like a base and cast it along with the horse... but keep it in mind next time you do a medallion.. even if its not sculpey they are great for pouring rubber over.. it peels right off.. try it sometime.. anyways.. love this foal! he is looking great and love the details! his little closed eyes are so cute...
Rebecca Turner
SolticeArt Studio

Morgen said...

Becky you caught me... I do use the CD cases because I can mold over them - no worries about damaging, AND (a bonus for me just starting out with this molding things myself), they have the added advantage of a little bit of flexibility too!

This one will required some creative boxing in as he outgrew his stand. I'll let my engineering man here do the cutting up of the box for that. I'm pretty.. inaccurate, shall we say. ;) I figure all holes can be patched with hot glue! :D

Love the idea of tiles. I think I'm ready too to go with studier bases now. :-P

Tx!